Tuesday 20 March 2012

Summary Of Medium Conventions


Sticking to my research about the conventions of the alternative rock genre. I have made my video a performance video with slight narrative, also making it quite a drak video and have made my digipak and advert for my digipak abstract. Whilst researching the genre I noticed that alternative rock bands don't tend to dress smart, the tend to be quite casual with what they wear and this been clothing such as jeans, striped tops, checkered shirts and hats so I dressed my performers in these clothing types to make my genre obvious. My digipak was completely different and was presented in an abstract way by not having an image of the band on the front cover, however there is images of the band in the digipak but they are presented in an abstract way just to stick with the abstract convention for an alternative rock album. For my poster I have stuck with the absract theme which makes my advert apart of the alternative rock genre. I have placed an image of the band on the poster in an abstract way and this image is also presented in my digipak.

The music video is filled with performance shots where we see the band playing their instruments with the front man singing. You see typical wide shots of the full band, close ups of the singer and shots of the rest of the band performing  and close ups of them so that the main focus isn't on the lead singer, I wanted to stick with a rule other bands stick to and that rule been not to make everything about the lead singer. The narrative in my video shows a man who is an alcoholic and takes drugs, he has no worries in his life and will not be forced around, he does as he pleases. I blended the narrative shots into my video by using many jumpcuts that where in time with the music. I stuck to the typical convention of keeping my video quite dark by putting a high contrast on it whilst editing and by using artificial lights when filming.

For my digipak I have gathered many stills from my music video. When I had chosen my stills I print screened each and put them into photoshop to edit them making them abstract and a pink colour by changing the saturation of the images. I stuck to my research on alternative rock band albums and based my digipak on an abstract and continued theme by sticking to the same colours. My digipak is rather similar to my video when it comes to darkness, there is a lot of black which is sometimes a colour people associate with rock music but the contrast with bright colour on my digipak takes my product away from looking too dark and gothic. My advertisement also follows the same things as my digipak. I used an image from my digipak making the poster dark, adding bright pink. To follow  advert conventions I mad sure my poster included a release date, a label logo and the bands logo/name.

Nearly all alternative rock music videos are performance or are a mixture of performance and narrative, there is very few alternative rock videos that are just narrative. Basing my video around these conventions, I chose to make my video a mixture of performance and narrative.  I showed performance in my video by shooting footage of a band I made up in the theatre called 'Fuse'. I had three performers all playing instruments and one singing which added the performance to my video. I showed narrative in my music video by showing my lead performer  as a person who lives his life as he wants not listening to anyone and I showed this by using jump cuts.

I think my products all work well together. My video works well because it follows the conventions for an alternative rock music video, it also is in time with the music and each bit of camera movement is based on the pace of my chosen song. The hard light makes my performance shots strong and this is the impression I aimed for my performers to give of. My ancillary texts contrast well with my music video because they are dark. My digipak and advert contrast well because theyare both dark, both including the bright colour pink and both follow the conventions of alternative rock by been abstract.

No comments:

Post a Comment